FIFA’s search for the men’s 2030 World Cup hosts was postponed Friday due to delays about agreeing on rules for the campaign and the final vote.
The vote by about 200 FIFA member federations was moved to the last quarter of 2024 instead of a previously expected meeting in September next year.
Bid rules will aim to be settled on at a FIFA council meeting before the end of October, soccer’s governing body said, “with the bidding process to be officially launched thereafter.”
Saudi Arabian soccer officials had not publicly confirmed what would have been an unprecedented three-continent hosting plan in line with the kingdom’s aggressive big-spending ambitions in global soccer. A bid for the 2034 World Cup has been seen as a more likely target.
Still, Saudi involvement could yet be revived even if it would mean bringing the World Cup back to Asia just eight years after Qatar hosted in 2022, and likely again in November-December in the middle of the European club season.
Even if the South American bid loses, Uruguay could still be honored as the inaugural host by being given some of the 104 games to stage at the same Estadio Centenario in Montevideo.
FIFA said Friday that it wanted “additional consultation with all key stakeholders (for the 2030 World Cup), which will mark the centenary of men’s football’s showpiece tournament.”
The 2027 Women’s World Cup vote is scheduled on May 17, 2024, and FIFA said its annual meeting to decide the host will be held in Bangkok.
The recently expanded 32-team club tournament could also share some games with Canada and Mexico.
Reporting by The Associated Press.
FIFA WORLD CUP MEN trending
Get more from FIFA Men’s World Cup Follow your favorites to get information about games, news and more