FA refuse to disclose which version of events Gareth Southgate was given about the break-in at Raheem Sterling’s house, with Surrey Police denying England star’s spokesperson’s claim that his family were at home and the intruders were armed
Sterling departed Doha on Sunday, missing the Three Lions’ victory over Senegal, with a spokesperson for the player saying his finacee and children were at their Surrey mansion when armed intruders entered, adding that the Chelsea forward was left shaken and concerned for their wellbeing.
But Surrey Police, amid concern from residents and players, moved to clarify the situation on Monday, stating that the family were not present and had discovered watches and jewellery were missing after returning from Qatar on Saturday night.
The force added that there had been no reports of armed intruders and no injuries were sustained, saying investigations to ascertain when the theft had taken place were ongoing.
Following England’s 3-0 win, Southgate said he had spoken at length to the 27-year-old before others arranged his return to London.
But no further detail has emerged and when asked which version of events – that from Sterling’s camp or from the police – the England manager had been given the FA declined to comment. At the time, the FA said Sterling had departed to due to ‘family reasons’.
The Football Association have refused to disclose which version of events Gareth Southgate was provided about the break-in
The door remains open for the return of Sterling, who was a star performer during England’s run to the European Championship final last year. He is understood to have spent the day thinking about next steps following discussions with the police.
Should he decide to fly back it is unlikely he would start Saturday’s quarter-final with France. Sterling was in the line-up for the opener with Iran and the second group match against the United States. However, following his substitution against America he was not used in the 3-0 win over Wales and would not have started the last-16 fixture with Senegal.
England star Raheem Sterling flew home from the World Cup in Qatar after burglars raided his £6million mansion in Surrey on Saturday evening – meaning he missed the Senegal win
Meanwhile, the FA issued a statement after it emerged that David Beckham had made a private visit to their training camp on November 23. The former England captain has attracted fierce criticism for taking a role as an ambassador for Qatar during the World Cup in a reported £150m, 10-year deal.
The move prompted outrage from many, including those within the LGBTQ+ community given the country’s ban on homosexuality. The visit took place on November 23 and had not been made public until a YouTube interview with current captain Harry Kane on England’s official channel on Monday.
The FA, who yesterday posted a picture of Beckham’s visit, said: ‘As England Men’s third most-capped player and having played at three World Cups, David Beckham was invited to training to share his experience of playing at the highest level for his country. The players benefited from hearing his thoughts and enjoyed the informal visit.’
Sterling (pictured right) with girlfriend Paige Milian (middle) and his three children