A Kenyan security guard has become the latest migrant worker to die at the World Cup after a fall at Lusail Stadium early Saturday, Qatari authorities have said.
World Cup organisers announced the death of John Njau Kibue, 24, following his death on Tuesday, after he was in an intensive care unit for three days, becoming the latest worker to perish during the tournament.
His Qatari employer, Al Sraiya Security Services, has not released any information about how he fell or any of the circumstances surrounding his death.
Last week, Qatar‘s World Cup chief executive shrugged off news of a migrant worker who died by insisting ‘death is a part of life’.
FILE – Multiple migrant workers are pictured in the artifical grass in Doha, Qatar. A security guard has died after suffering a serious fall at Lusail Stadium early Saturday after the Argentina-Netherlands game
Njau moved to Qatar from Kenya around a year ago, according to The Athletic.
‘We want justice. We want to know what caused his death. They have never sent us a picture to show where he fell from or given us any other information,’ his sister Wanjiru told CNN.
Njau was admitted to the Hamad General Hospital in Doha after a ‘severe head injury, facial fractures and pelvic fractures’, according to medical documents seen by the US broadcaster.
Authorities said they ‘are investigating the circumstances leading to the fall as a matter of urgency and will provide further information pending the outcome of the investigation’ and will ‘also ensure that his family receive all outstanding dues and monies owed.’
The incident came after Argentina beat the Netherlands on penalties in the early hours of Saturday morning.
The US football journalist Grant Wahl passed away after collapsing at the same match.
‘We regret to announce that, despite the efforts of his medical team, he sadly passed away in hospital on Tuesday 13 December, after being in the intensive care unit for three days,’ said the Supreme Committee for Delivery and Legacy.
‘His next of kin have been informed. We send our sincere condolences to his family, colleagues and friends during this difficult time.’
MailOnline has reached out to Al Sraiya Security Services to clarify how Njau died but did not hear back prior to publication.
Last week, Nasser Al Khater, Chief Executive of the 2022 World Cup in Doha, confirmed the death of a previous worker at a training site, without providing specifics. He offered condolences to his family.
FILE – Nasser Al Khater, Chief Executive of the 2022 World Cup in Doha, said ‘death is a part of life’ in response to the tragic death of yet another migrant worker who died at a training site last week
The worker was identified by onsite crew as Alex, a man from the Philippines. He reportedly slipped off a ramp while walking alongside a forklift and fell against concrete. Medics responded to the scene, but Alex could not be saved.
Qatari officials said they launched a work safety investigation into his death, which happened during the World Cup’s group stages.
‘Death is a natural part of life, whether it’s at work, whether it’s in your sleep,’ Khater said after the incident.
The Athletic reported that the Filipino worker was contracted to fix lights in a car park at the Sealine Resort, the training site of the Saudi national team.
Citing multiple unnamed sources, the report said the accident occurred during the World Cup, but did not say exactly when.
There could be as many as 6,500 migrants who have died while working on Qatar World Cup infrastructure, MailOnline understands.
Qatar’s officials previously only admitted to three deaths.
But two weeks ago, Hassan Al-Thawadi — the Qatari official responsible for delivery of the World Cup — told Piers Morgan Uncensored that at least 400 had died.
FILE – It’s thought that there could be as many as 6,500 migrants who have died while working on Qatar World Cup infrastructure. Pictured: Migrant workers in Qatar